Gout Signs and Symptoms.
The signs of gout are similar to arthritis so be sure to check that it isn’t gout rather than arthritis. Uric acid levels will give you a clue as accumulation of uric acid crystals in the joints are the cause of gout.
- Pain, heat, redness & swelling in toes, particularly big toe joint
- Itching or Peeling around the affected area
- Painful to the touch & worse at night.
- Severe pain (in flares)
- Often occurs in people with kidney Stones (also caused by high uric acid)
- Elevated Uric Acid Levels
- Restricted range of movement of the affected area plus nodules.
Homeopathic Remedies for Gout
Because gout is a functional problem to do with the way your body accumulates or eliminates uric acid, homeopathy can help stimulate your body to rebalance its handling of this acid.
Pain Relief for acute flares
- Arnica is a homeopathic gout remedy that works on relieving gout pain
- Belladonna works for acute gout inflammation, redness and swelling
- Benzoic Acid is good for breaking up inflammation in your big toe or knees
- Colchicum helps prevent gout flare-ups, particularly in colder weather
- Ledum great at reducing swelling due to gout
- Lycopodium helps break up gout crystals that have formed in your extremities, particularly your toes
- Urtica Urens is a natural uric acid lowering homeopathy remedy for gout
- Uric acidum is also used to lower uric acid in the body. As a homeopathic remedy it stimulates the body to readdress its uric acid balance, just as homeopathic arsenic stimulates the body to eliminate arsenic.
- Fragaria is a remedy used in herbal medicine to reduce uric acid, and Boericke’s Materia Medica lists it for reducing calculi, reducing tartar from teeth and preventing attacks of gout.
And here, in my course Can I Treat It Myself, you can find out how to treat yourself and when it is best to get help.
Diet & Behaviour can play a large part
Some people will be able to party and ignore their health and never get gout, but if you have a family predisposition you’ll need to monitor your diet and behaviour more than most. This is a pain in the neck, but the plus side is that your body tells you when you are abusing it or not caring for it.
Foods With a Reputation For Preventing Gout
Foods & Behaviours With a Reputation for Triggering Gout
You have to have high uric acids already for foods to trigger gout.
- High purine foods [red meat, shellfish & beer, etc]
- Drinking alcohol – decreased the kidneys’ ability to filter uric acid and therefore regular drinking can lead to a buildup.
- Being overweight – You are 4 times as likely to suffer gout. Obesity, diabetes and elevated cholesterol are all commonly seen alongside gout.
- Drinking soda – high fructose corn syrup raises uric acid levels in men and women and therefore increases occurrence of gout.
- Becoming dehydrated – the exact reason is unknown, but dehydration correlates with concentration of uric acid crystals in the joint fluid.